Friday, September 25, 2015

Lessons in Leadership: The Speed of Trust

Stephen M.R. Covey has written and lectured on the "Speed of Trust." According to Mr. Covey, trust is established through character and competence. As a new leader coming into an existing organization, I set out to build trust as a foundation for change.

I first heard of the "Speed of Trust" from a compact disc (cd), The 4 Imperatives of Great Leaders. When coming to my new leadership position, I wanted relational and leadership trust. Part of this desire had to do with my previous assignment, where as an assistant principal and part of a turn around team, the principal set a hostile tone against the existing staff. Many teachers and staff members were put off by this "change leader" making them resistant to change.

Naturally, people are resistant to change. Establishing a hostile environment showed me that people will double down on their resistance and unite against the leader, making change next to impossible. This established an "us v. them" culture. To bring change in this atmosphere, you have to fire everyone or force people to change by exerting power.

Fast forward to my new position, I set out to build trust. First I needed to establish my character. Character is about having integrity. For me having integrity meant determining my own assessment of the needs and strengths of the employees and the organization as a whole. I had heard from others in the district the needs, problems, and strengths of the school, but I knew I needed to treat people with dignity and respect, while gaining their respect. I had to listen to the employees and move at a pace they could move without giving up. I believed them and trusted their integrity as professionals. I did not question their motives but gave them what I wanted from them-trust and respect.

Of course I made mistakes, but by trying to establish consistent integrity,  I could see the employees begin to let their guard down. This made them open to moving in a direction that was best for all stakeholders.

Today, we finished our first of six, six-week Terms (one of the changes we established). We have averaged around 90% attendance v. around 70% last year. We had students, who had previously lost credits due to attendance, gain 2 credits. The culture of the staff is one of collaboration and support. Though this culture was there before I came, it was challenged when I came in with a mandate to bring change. I look forward to building on the momentum we have begun and it has all worked out for the benefit of the students and our community.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog post! I agree Dr. B.. Thanks for leading through character. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete